Thursday, May 06, 2004

My First Bodyboard

I bought my first bodyboard today (at Sportmart). $39.99. I was at Seal Beach earlier (to fish) and, while walking to the end of the pier, stopped and watched a few adolescent males bodyboarding. It looked like they were having fun.

I also saw surfers riding waves. I felt like I was missing out.

The other day, I was watching Step Into Liquid and I remember a guy in the film said, "once you catch your first wave, that's it. You're in. You've caught the surfing bug. It's like the mafia. You can't get out." I haven't had the chance to experience something like that.

But I might this Saturday when I go surfing with a friend from small group.

By the way, I didn't catch any fish.

If I'm going to go to the ocean, I might as well spend my time there doing something more gratifying.

So what compelled me to try bodyboarding for the next six weeks? (1) Hot weather. I want to go to the beach and get wet. Boogie boarding gives me an excuse to be in the water for long periods of time. (2) When I was in junior high, I was bodyboarding at Huntington Beach and caught my first wave. I want to experience that again. (3) The teenage boys I saw today at Seal Beach opened my eyes to the possibility of excelling at a new sport that is connected to the ocean, something I find appealing.