Tuesday, May 10, 2005

ESPN Special: Kobe Isn't To Blame For Lakers Break-Up Last Summer



I saw a special on ESPN about reasons Kobe isn't to blame for the Lakers break-up last summer. Elizabeth Kaye (writer for Los Angeles Magazine) mentioned Kobe resented the fact Shaq was the sun around which the planets (players) rotated, because he had the potential to be a sun himself.

I remember experiencing the same thing when I was in seventh grade and my English teacher chose Andy Nelson's (my classmate) story as the best in the class (our assignment was to write a narrative about three wishes). But for some reason, even at twelve-years-old, I thought one of the main factors she chose his was because he was white (like her).

During the read-arounds, before the top story was picked, Andy Nelson said out loud "I like Pye-Young's" (among the ones he read).

It wasn't original though, I based it on a Twilight Zone episode I saw about an owner of a pawn shop who gets an unexpected visit from a genie.