Mike Palmquist, a Professor of English at Colorado State University, says he started running when he was in fourth grade. He says he'd run around his school for fun and found he enjoyed it.
I was the only test subject. But after doing some reading on the topic, I believe it's safe to say running does have some sort of tranquilizing effect on a man's brain.
Starting last Sunday, I ran three to five miles every other day (i.e. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday).
I noticed after I'd run (usually at 24 Hour Fitness), and take a shower, I'd be in a better mood. I'd feel more introspective. I'd be more careful with my words. And I'd feel reinvigorated.
It's like a drug.
Running has been a regular part of my life since I was thirteen years old. In order to lose weight (I was chubby for a few years), I started running laps at Cerritos Elementary (where I went to school).
I also ran in high school to stay in shape, and did a two-week stint of cross country my senior year (joined late).
I only ran occasionally in college and pretty much stopped when I was teaching high school (and subsequently gained about sixteen pounds).
I began running again on a consistent basis (a few times per week) about thirteen months ago (in conjunction with my signing up for a membership at the gym). Since then, I've slimmed down to about 158 lbs (I topped out at 176 lbs.).