Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Graduate School

I'm secretly ecstatic about going to grad school. I used to think teaching high school was my calling, but my outlook has radically changed the past few months. I'm not completely sure teaching suited me. I'm an introvert by nature and didn't particulary thrive off constant interaction with high-energy teenagers (I did have my good days, though they were few and far between).

My main reasons for pursuing an advanced degree are for personal enrichment and more career opportunities. I can sincerely say I love the study of literature and want to make it a part of my livelihood.

I've been reading a book called Great Jobs For English Majors. It has reaffirmed my belief in the value of an English degree. English has a history of being one of the earliest majors in the middle-class American college tradition. And its emphasis on the disciplines of learning to read, write, and appreciate literature in many forms makes it valuable. English is timeless, has broad applications, and contains infinite pathways for exploration.

At the graduate level, a student is given significant autonomy in pursuing his studies. And the faculty stay aware of and are involved in the academic progress of their students.

I couldn't ask for more.