Sunday, April 18, 2004

A Year In Limbo (And Self-Examination)

In the past year:

I've worked as a sales representative (going door-to-door pitching Sparkletts Water to various businesses) for an advertising agency. I did that for two days (including a day of training).

I took a ten hour course to become a licensed undercover store detective. But I didn't get hired as one (at Marshalls) because my interviewer said I was overqualified.

I interviewed for a caption writing position in which I took a typing speed test (clocked in at 57 wpm, passing was 40) and a grammar exam. I called about a week later and the supervisor told me he looked at my resume and decided not to continue with my application.

I worked at Fry's Electronics for about a week. I quit and took classes to renew my teaching credential.

I currently work as a substitute. But it's not my calling. It's nobody's calling to be a substitute teacher. Just a job for people like me who need a source of income while they try to look for something more consistent with their dreams.

For me, it is going back to school. I know it will be an adventure. Being part of academia makes me come alive. There are few things more meaningful than exploring new worlds reading literature, and discovering the substance of my interior world through the medium of writing.

So what's next after grad school? I'm not certain. I just have to try to live an authentic life (hopefully without going broke) and find a profession that is intellectually stimulating, and makes use of my gifts.