There've been times when I've found myself questioning why I watch the Lakers. There've been times when it's felt like a waste of time, especially when they've gotten trounced by a team (e.g. the Blazers) and displayed little effort in the process.
But there are those other, redemptive moments. If you're a fellow Laker fan you know what I'm talking about. It's when the Purple and Gold play with spirit. It's when they scrap with high intensity. Case in point: after trailing by 19 points in the second quarter, Kobe Bryant ignited a rally that included a few spectacular plays off the glass and eventually led to an 8 point victory.
One of the plays, in which Gary Payton lobbed the ball off the glass as Kobe came sailing in for a slam dunk, was absolutely riveting. The subsequent roaring of the crowd only added to the moment.
This is my justification for watching the Lakers. They seem to have the power to thrill me.